Iqaluit’s Chief Enforcement Officer Rod Mugford spoke during the Jan. 26 City of Iqaluit Council meeting about Municipal Enforcement’s statistical report on the year’s fourth quarter.
A number of traffic and vehicle-related violations occurred among Iqalummiut.
Fines totalling $26,975 were issued to people in Iqaluit over the three month period.
The current departmental staffing levels are four municipal enforcement officers including Mugford.
“There was a significant increase in motorists failing to obey the stop lights located at the West 40 Y intersection, where the construction crews were working,” Mugford said. “This in effect created a number of violations for a traffic control device as mentioned.”
Iqaluit mayor Kenny Bell noted that “although there’s still a lot of work to be done, for some reason people don’t think the rules of the road apply to them here.”
Fines in Iqaluit, Oct. 1 to Dec. 31 2020
- 101 violation tickets written
- 38 written warnings
- 24 verbal warnings
- 15 vehicles that were towed and impounded at the municipal lot
- 27 speeding violations
- 24 of those speeding violations were driving 17 to 29 kilometres over the posted speed limit
- 2 were speeding 30 to 40 kilometres over the posted speed limit
- 1 violation for speeding 41 to 49 kilometres over the posted speed limit
- 9 violations for using hand-held electronic devices while driving
- 15 violations for operating a vehicle without financial liability (insurance)
- 18 violations for the operation of a vehicle without registration
- 7 violations for the operation of a motor vehicle without carrying the required documents
- 2 violations for operating an ATV without insurance
- 1 violation for operating an ATV without a helmet
- 8 violations for operating a vehicle without the proper class of drivers license
- 2 violations for the operation of a vehicle without due care and attention
- 18 violations for the failure to follow a traffic control device
- 3 violations for the operation of a vehicle without rear, stop or brake lights
Source: City of Iqaluit Municipal Enforcement Division