An Iqaluit resident is helping fundraise money to assist Iqalummiut through the city’s water crisis.
Andrea Andersen started a GoFundMe page on Oct. 13, reaching her original goal of $1,000 the next day. By Oct. 21 the page reached over $70,000 before being closed.
As of Oct. 28, Andersen in total was able to purchase and deliver:
– 150 11-15 litre reusable water jugs;
– 110 water pump jug dispensers;
– 49 shower bags (for pregnant women to shower);
– 100 water dispensers for the fridge;
– 32 cases of ready-to-drink baby formula;
– 11 stock pots for boiling water (for shack owners to boil river water);
– 40 kettles.
By Oct. 28, Andersen and volunteers were able to deliver water supplies to 198 homes in Iqaluit.
“Thanks to the many volunteers,” wrote Andersen on the GoFundMe page, “Nakurmiik!”
While the GoFundMe campaign is over, people can still help out financially by email transferring money to firstname.lastname@example.org.