Skip to content

Fire leaves Kugluktuk home condemned

A fire has left a Kugluktuk man without a home but fortunately nobody sustained any injuries during the Sept. 25 blaze.

This Kugluktuk residence was damaged badly enough by fire on Sept. 25 to be condemned.
contributed photos

A house party was in progress and a couple of guests were forced to jump out of a bedroom window to safety, according to Gordon Hikomak, the community’s fire chief.

The fire broke out in the home’s porch around 4:45 a.m. as a result of a cigarette butt that wasn’t extinguished properly, according to Hikomak. There were plenty of belongings stored in the porch, providing ample fuel for the fire, he added.

It took the community’s fire department less than an hour to douse the flames.

The blaze broke out around 4:45 a.m. in Kugluktuk. A couple of house guests leapt out a window to escape the fire.